Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Nothing has changed in five years, except everything.

Five years is a long time to go between posts.  In this time we've moved back to Utah, JL and I started a business that led to him leaving corporate life, and I now work full-time either from home or at our offices.  I never would have guessed this is where we'd be in 2013.  Here's the rundown:

David is now a Lego-obsessed kindergartner who spends at least 7 hours a day creating ninjas, Star Wars characters, flying machines with small plastic pieces.  Several times each day he'll present his latest work of art and give me a review of all its features (maneuverable wings, detachable space pod, secret light saber compartment, etc.)  His favorite thing about kindergarten is recess, and he's found some friends to have ninja adventures with during them.  He's blonde, blue-eyed, as fair-skinned as me, and loves to cuddle on the couch.  He has four night-lights in his room, but this doesn't keep him from sneaking into my bed when he has a nightmare.    

Gigi is now a sophisticated fourth-grader.  She's as smart as ever, is the official family finder of lost objects (thanks to an almost photographic memory), and enjoys dance and gymnastics.  She's very conscientious about fashion, be it her hair style or her apparel, and nothing slips past her.  JL and I often speak French when we don't want the kids to understand, and I swear she's deciphered enough to figure out what we're talking about.  She's known for her infectious giggle--one that really does cause everyone within earshot to look for the source of such a happy sound.

Cleo is the second smallest sixth-grader at her school (and there are twelve sixth-grade classes).  She's incredibly creative, and often surprises me by re-arranging the furniture in her room, writing something really clever, or crafting a keepsake.  Along with Gigi, she takes piano, dance and gymnastics lessons, and it seems like she never walks into a room, she leaps.   Now that she's 11, I am no longer allowed to have input on what she wears nor how she styles her hair (at least not much). 

JL works for me, or maybe I work for him, or we just work together.  Several years ago we began selling specialty children's products online, and to our great surprise we now employ over 30 people, have two warehouses, and are quite busy.  We are lucky to work from home (mostly) and really enjoy what we do.  JL calls it a logistics business, I call it retail.  We've even opened a store in our hometown.

As for me, I'm no longer a great housekeeper (if I ever was), and at this time of year I'm reading fewer books than I'd like too, but I'm happy.  My kids entertain and delight me.  JL still makes me laugh after 18 years.

No comments: