Sunday, August 12, 2007

New House

We are officially residents of our new house. It's been great, but entirely overwhelming to try to put everything away, deal with items that have been in storage for two years (and don't remember that I own), and adjust to yet another new town. I've found a grocery store I like, we're minutes away from a Target and not much further from some pretty good restaurants, have miles of sidewalks and mountain pathways to go on evening walks on, and the commute seems to be working well for my hubby. When asked what their favorite things about the new house are, Cleo replied her room, Gigi said the toys, Dad says his new desk, and I say the new amazingly soft carpet that hides all dirt and never needs to be vacuumed. I also love the plethora of cupboards in the kitchen, the fact that it is so light and bright inside that I virtually never turn a light on before dark, and having lots of space for the girls to run around.

If there is a downside to our new home it's the lack of a linen closet (I'm a blanket and pillow hoard and own dozens of both), and that I'm having issues with the odors found in a new home like carpet and paint fumes. The fumes will dissipate with help from the strong breeze that we get each evening, but as for the missing linen closet, I guess I need to downsize and just be okay with not being able to house 35 guests.

As for unearthing and unpacking, I've come across things I can't believe I own like a bagel slicer purchased during our family's bagel stage about 8 years ago, 4 whisks, and a total of 7 pie plates. I mean, I really like pie, and I like to bake pies, but when am I ever going to need to make 7 at one time?

The treasure's I've found include a vase purchased on mother's day for me while in The Netherlands two years ago, a small jewelry box that once belonged to my grandmother, and the box containing my wedding dress. It's all sealed, so I can't take it out, but it makes me laugh that I've been lugging it around for 11 years with no real purpose. I wish people had parties where wearing a wedding dress was considered appropriate attire, because then I'd have a reason to wear it again--and laugh at how dated it is already.

Anyway, I'm exhausted from unpacking all day, chasing my kids, and navigating the mounds of stuff that still don't have homes.

7 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

I would totally have a wedding dress party. :)

And, I feel your pain about the lack of a linen closet. It sucks a duck when you don't have a place for all your towels and sheets.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!

D-

Anonymous said...

Where is this alleged house located? West coast? East coast? Brazil? Antarctica? Ohio?

Claudia said...

We don't know who Brian is, but we were asking the exact same question: where in the world is the schulthess-needham family these days?
:-) The Smeltzers of Dallas, TX

Anonymous said...

Hello Amy,

I've been missing your blog. While I wasn't blogging I had set an imaginary re-entrance date and it was "I'll blog when Amy does" I didn't wait but I'm looking forward to your re-emergance!

:-D

Melanie said...

Amy.....I heard a rumor about you today. Is it true??

Loralee Choate said...

COME BACK! WE LOVE YOU! Seriously, I need my little Amy fix, dang it!