Friday, June 08, 2007

To Be Fair

I know I sounded totally and completely judgemental in my last post, so to slightly make up for that here's the short list of ways I'm a terrible mother.

1. I let my kids watch scary movies. Harry Potter, Night at the Museum, Chronicles of Narnia, Wizard of Oz, and all sorts of movies with bad guys, monsters and ghosts--bring 'em all on. My kids, so far, haven't had troubles with nightmares or being too afraid. We just talk about how it's all pretend and they seem to do okay. Similarly, I don't really care if my kids watch Simpsons or other adult cartoons. I do draw the line at stuff like South Park, but then I don't watch that myself.

2. I let my kids stay up late. It's currently 9:10 pm and my kids are still up. They'll probably be up for another half hour at least. Some nights they are in bed by 8:30 or 9:00, if I'm really organized, or if I've had a tough day and just need some peace and quiet. But I sort of like our evenings and so most nights it's 9:20 or even 10:00 before the kids are kissed and tucked in and I'm okay with this. I know this will change when the kids are going to school in the morning.

3. I let my kids eat at McDonald's. Fast food is on the menu at least once a week at our house, and when we lived in France, it was more often than that due to lack of kid friendly restaurants. Similarly, I don't make many home cooked, good for you balanced meals. Thanks to the luck of the draw my husband often comes home from work with gourmet meals for all of us.

4. My kids have cavities. Correction, one of my children has three cavities, the other child is cavity free. I do brush my kids teeth, and floss most days, but the amount of yellow gunk on their teeth is horrifying. Thank goodness these are only their baby teeth.

5. My kids don't get to play outside everyday. This one makes me a bit sad and I'm hoping it changes. We live in an apartment without a yard and to get to our local park we have to load up in our car. I can't wait till we move into our house and have a yard, albeit tiny, and I can scoot them out the back door so they can get their wiggles out.

There are many, many more ways I fail at motherhood, most to personal to mention, but these are the ones that I can mention and still face you all.

3 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

Oh, Little Guy.
You are one of the best mothers I know. I heart you and your family (Even if they have fuzzy, yellow teeth.)

Anonymous said...

The fact that you think these items make you a bad mother show what a good mother you are...except for the teeth; that's just gross beyond belief, and I think you should be in jail with Paris Hilton...oh, wait...See, you're STILL a good mom!

Therese said...

amy, i wanted to comment on your last post. i don't think you were out of line AT ALL. for starters, my kids won't be going to public loos by themselves til they're 20. too many freaky incidents have happened here with parent-less kids in loos. and secondly, i hate when rules are posted in plain sight and friends let their kids break them, and i'm telling mine to get off the grass or keep out of the pool.

and finally, i let my kids eat at mcdonald's too. in fact, i had major guilt over our most recent visit. i got my kids the hamburger happy meal instead of the pasta happy meal (healthier, supposedly). big time regression. and then, while we're sitting in the dining area, packed with families whose kids are running wild, a taxi driver runs thru the lobby and nabs a non-paying customer in the parking lot. i'm thinking, "i brought my kids to the 'hood for their dinner! what kind of a mother am i???"